field research equipment is our primary business. We can supply
specialized equipment built to your specifications. We are in the
process of developing a line of off-the-shelf systems for short or long
|Coming Soon! - The Crow Systems
The NiController is a tool for
automated control of high-end Nikon and Canon digital and film cameras. The NiController
includes built-in infrared detectors and a micro-computer based Camera
Control System with fully integrated setup interface - no computer or
programmers required for setup!
Compatible with Nikon and Canon based digital and film camera bodies that
have a jack for an electronic shutter release (see your camera owners
Excellent for capturing photos of wary wildlife, or for use in difficult or time-constrained situations.
A great scouting tool
for locating wildlife hot-spots - don't waste time sitting in a
blind at areas with no activity!
Some features of the NiController:
- Easy to configure user settings via LCD display menu and single programming button.
- Unique built-in dual sensors for fast, well-framed shutter control.
- Waterproof case - access all functions externally - no need to open the case for setup.
- Between picture inhibit timer - user selectable from 5 seconds to 17 hours.
- Special function data logging picture inhibit timer - user selectable from 5 seconds to 17 hours.
- Resettable picture inhibit timer modes help reduce multiple images of same subject.
- User selectable Day only / Night only, or 24 hour operation modes with independent image capture and data logging controls.
- 16 multiple exposure modes.
- 10 optional pulse-counting event discrimination modes with independent image capture and data logging controls.
- Adjustable sensitivity control - set detection range of built-in sensors from ~10 to ~50 feet (see PIR FAQ for informations about using the built-in PIR sensors).
- Built-in Sensor / External Inputs are switch-selectable.
- Security code lockout to prevent access by unauthorized users (with disable option).
ports allow system expansion with optional external trigger systems and/or data logging equipment
(for gathering data on time, date, temperature, humidity, illuminance, etc).
- Built-in Day & Night event counters - up to 20,000 events grouped by Day and Night.
- Intervalometer mode for time-lapse photos (interval times from 15 minutes up to 24 hours).
- Upgradeable firmware (see updates page for information).
low power operation for extended run-time. The Camera Control System
runs for ~1 year with a single 9 volt alkaline battery. Run-time for cameras is model dependant).
Custom-built Automated Photography Systems Overview
Crow Systems can incorporate
many digital still cameras into our systems. Our digital
still systems use the same controller circuitry that has been
thoroughly field-tested in our film-based products. Contact us with your requirements.
Advantages of digital still
- Much greater number of images can be captured per deployment.
- In-the-field instant review/delete of images.
- Generally quieter during operation.
- Images easily reproduced, distributed, and
- Movie mode available on some models.
- Much lower lifetime operational costs (no film
- Image information stored in EXIF header attached
to image files (model dependent).
- Fairly easy infra-red photography on some models.
- Less environmental impact (no processing
chemicals - rechargeable batteries, etc)
Some dis-advantages of digital
- Weak built-in flash. Typically the flash
is good for 3 to 5 meters at best.
metering (focus, exposure, white balance, etc) performed by the camera
can cause undesirable results. The camera might meter on a small branch
or clump of grass - ignoring the main portion of the target area -
resulting in very low quality photos. Basic 35mm film cameras are not as selective, and seldom exhibit
upon camera model and memory card size used, some digitals can
take up to 6+ seconds to set up and capture an image. This could
present problems in certain sites. Newer model cameras have
much faster start-up times of around 1.2 seconds. Our unique
multi-field sensor systems can reduce or eliminate this shutter time-lag in many cases.
Video - Digital / Analog
Video systems offer some of the most exciting
possibilities for the researcher interested in animal behavior.
Crow Systems can supply digital and analog video systems in various
formats. We generally use Sony®© Night-Shot®©
equipped camcorders, or high-resolution Sony EXview CCD cameras in our
video equipment. Our video equipment is built on a custom basis -
designed to suit your specific needs. Check here for features
common to our basic video systems. Contact
us with your video requirements - pole-mount,
discrete, tunnel / burrow, nest cavity, time-lapse, etc.
Film-Based Camera Systems
recently, film-based systems had been our most requested format. The
photographic film and manufacturing industry is well-developed and
offers many excellent, readily available products at reasonable prices. Unfortunately,
with the sharp decrease of interest in 35mm systems,
we are no longer able to justify investment in research and development
for this format. We may be able to supply special orders as time
us with your requirements.
Some advantages of 35mm film
- Somewhat lower initial equipment investment.
- Slightly wider operating temperature range (though the film itself can present problems).
- Longer battery life and in-the-field run-time (newer digitals are now almost as efficient).
- Fairly powerful built-in flashes available.
Some dis-advantages of film cameras
- Film processing costs, time, and environmental issues.
- Generally louder during operation.
- Many moving parts to wear, break, or freeze.
- Film sensitive to heat / humidity.
- Limited to 36 exposures.
- Infra-red photography difficult or impossible.
Not Just Imaging!
Have a special requirement? We may be able
to supply your equipment! Contact us
with your special requirements.
"If men had
wings and bore black feathers, few of them
would be clever enough to be crows" -
Henry Ward Beecher
"Who would believe that a small scene of nature
could contain the images of the universe?" -
Leonardo da Vinci
Crow Systems products are designed, engineered, and built in the USA. Help keep our economy
alive - Buy US!
WHY? - To find out, check here.
Then contact Microsoft®© and let them know what you think.
Site, text, and images (where
applicable) copyright© Crow Systems, Ltd. 1998-2006 - all